After eating some of my chili with tortilla chips, I realized my cravings for corn were much stronger than I had anticipated. I also thought about how imperative cornbread is to complement chili so I got myself out of bed this morning and whipped up a batch of pumpkin cornbread muffins (why not keep the fall squash themes going?). In reality I had pumpkin puree leftover from my pumpkin cinnamon rolls that I made the other day — should I make this recipe next for you guys?
Anyway, I didn’t want to spend that much time in the kitchen baking these today so I came up with an easy and quick recipe to satisfy those cravings that you might share with me. This recipe will take you max 30 minutes from start to finish! It took me closer to 20 minutes, though and there is such a small workload associated with it!
These cornbread muffins were made refined sugar free, gluten free and vegan! So I hope you enjoy something so guilt free without compromising the flavor of the cornbread! I chose to use small muffin tins because I wanted to trick myself into thinking I was consuming more than I truly was (in other words 4 small muffins= 1 slice corn bread).
Here it is! The delicious, easy, and again cheap corn bread muffins!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 minutes||10 minutes||25 minutes|
Makes about 24 small muffins
1 c unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp lemon juice (about half of a medium lemon makes 1 tbsp juice)
1/4 c pumpkin puree (can use applesauce or mashed banana as well)
1/4 c olive oil (or other oil, just make sure it’s melted)
2 tbsp agave (or honey if you eat honey)
2 c finely-ground, organic cornmeal (I get mine in bulk from my local health food store)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp himalayan sea salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and spraying muffin tin with nonstick spray
- Mix almond milk and lemon juice together and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients and make sure everything is mixed well
- In medium bowl, mix together all wet ingredients well
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients gradually and mix until ingredients are completely integrated
- Using a tablespoon, add the mixture into the muffin tins
- Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are brown and you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean
- Let cool for a couple minutes and eat warm with chili, soup, or on it’s own with your favorite toppings!